Congratulations on your decision to become a Certified SUD Counselor! When it comes to addiction, substance abuse counselors provide a necessary support system for individuals recovering from drug and alcohol addiction, and other behavioral issues.

By forming a relationship based on trust with their patients, counselors can provide the support that addicts need in order to be able to recover from their addiction. Counselors in this field help addicts manage both short-term crises related to their addiction as well as long-term recovery management problems ranging from immediate medical intervention all the way through supporting them manage long term recovery.

The following provides a step-by-step process for obtaining your certification as an SUD Counselor. We know it’s not always an easy path and we applaud your decision to take on this critical role. Please know we are here for you every step of the way! To contact our customer care team, drop us a note here: Contact Us

Steps to SUD Counselor Certification

The CADTP Substance Use Disorder Certified Counselor (SUDCC) credential is accredited by NCCA/ICE and is recognized by DHCS, those holding this credential are authorized to work in any substance use disorder (SUD) treatment modality.

Steps to Certification

1. Register as an SUDRC.
2. Complete required education.
3. Complete required work experience.
4. Submit certification/exam application.
5. Successfully pass certification exam.
6. Receive your SUDCC certification.

Complete the six steps listed above to become a Substance Use Disorder Certified Counselor.

IC&RC ADC Exam Requirements:

To apply for the certification exam, you must complete the CADTP Exam Certification Application. Along with the completed application you will need to submit the following:

  • Payment of $350 ($175 for Exam and $175 for Initial SUDCC Certification)
  • 2×2 current photo of applicant
  • Official Transcripts documenting the completion of at least 315 hours of formal, in-classroom education, at an accredited college or post-secondary school in alcohol and/or other drug education (see Academic Content Areas here for required courses). Official transcripts need to be mailed in a sealed envelope or emailed to the CADTP office directly from the college.
  • Documentation of 2,080 hours SUD counseling work experience (see Work Hours Verification Form)
  • Documentation of 255 hours of SUD supervised practicum hours that cover the 12 core functions (effective for initial registrations on or after 11/1/2021) (see Practicum Verification Form)
  • Signed Code of Conduct/Ethics