New SUD Counselor RegistrationComplete the Initial Registration Application Online
Important Message: Please read all of the information on this page before beginning the online application process. You must have the proper documents available to upload before submitting the form. If you prefer a document with this information, please download it here: Procedures for Online Registration for New SUD Counselors.
Register Here to Begin your Career as an SUD Counselor
Regulations adopted by the California Department of Health Care Services. (DHCS), as effective April 1, 2005, require individuals who are not licensed professionals or who have not been previously certified, as specified in the regulations, to register with one of the designated certifying organizations listed on the DHCS website. Before processing this application, CADTP will verify that you are not now or were previously registered.
Before processing this application, CADTP will verify that you are not now or were previously registered. If you were or have registered with another California certifying agency (CCAPP or CAADE), you must use the Reciprocity Application and, if applicable, the Renewal Application.
Allow 2 weeks for processing. Incomplete applications will be returned and must be resubmitted. Rush services are available in 10 and 5 business day increments (see below).
California Resident Requirement
To be eligible for registration you must reside in California at least 51% of the time. If you provide an out-of-state license or out-of-state mailing address, we will require proof of state residency.
Selection of Certifying Agency
California regulations allow employers to determine which of the certifying organization certifications they will accept. Potential registrants are advised to check with their employer, if any, before registering.
Registration is the Path to Certification
Registration is not equivalent to and is not an alternative to certification. Once you are registered, you must complete the requirements for certification within five years.
Completion of Registrant’s Orientation (9-hour Course)
Applicants for registration are required to complete a 9-hour orientation class prior to registration, consisting of 3 hours of SUD Ethics, 3 hours of SUD Confidentiality, and 3 hours of SUD Professional Boundaries. This can be done in a single combined class on the three subjects. You must submit official proof of completion with this application. Please do not complete the application below until you have fulfilled this requirement. To locate an approved course, click here: Approved Registrant’s Orientation Courses
Steps to Register (Read This!)
1. Complete the Online Application following these steps:
- Enter all required information.
- Upload all required documents into the Online Application Form.
- Enter your demographics.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee, include any rush services desired.
- Press Submit. Your contact and other information will be automatically transferred to the Registrant Application, ready for your signature. You will also receive a receipt via email for the processed application fee.
2. Sign the Registrant Application
- Read the Registrant Application, Uniform Code of Conduct, and the CADTP Code of Ethics.
- Initial where indicated, Sign, and Date the application.
- You will receive a copy in the email address provided in the Application Form.
All items below must be included in your application. The online application process allows you to enter your information, upload documents, and sign applications.
Before you start the process, ensure that you have all required documents available including:
- Official Certificate – 9-Hour Orientation Course
- Copy of official ID (Driver’s license)
- 2” x 2” passport-style photograph of the applicant
- Proof of Residence (0nly if submitting an out of state license)
- Payment of $75 (Non-Refundable), plus any desired rush services
Standard processing time is 14 days from the date the complete application is received at CADTP.
Review of the Process for Registering Online
Complete the Application form on this page, upload documents, enter demographics, and pay the registration fee.
When you press Submit. Your information will transfer to the Online Application.
Registrant Application and Codes of Conduct
Read and sign the Registrant Application, Uniform Code of Conduct, and CADTP Code of Conduct
Congratulations for taking this important first step in your new career!
You will receive an email copy of your receipt and signed documents.